Food beneficial to type 2 diabetic patients is called superfoods. They provide calories or fats, protein, or carbohydrates. Some of the superfoods that are to be kept in everyday meals are-
- Chia seeds
- White balsamic vinegar
Some of the unhealthy food people with type 2 diabetes should avoid are-
- Refined sugars
- Processed carbs
- Trans fats
- High-fat animal products
- High-fat dairy products
- High fructose corn syrup
- Artificial sweeteners
- Highly processed foods
Some of the worst food which people with diabetes should never have are-
White rice, Blended coffees, Bananas and melons, Chinese food, Breakfast pastries, Fruit smoothies, Refined cereal, Fruit juice, Energy bars, Pasta, French fries, and Fatty meats.
Maintaining a healthy diet can avoid many complications of diabetes. One plan will not suit everyone. Each person should have his meal plan after consulting a dietitian. The perfect diabetes diet plan will have three main meals a day with snacks.
Some ideal Breakfast:
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 3/4th cup blueberries, some almonds and chia seeds.
- A mixture of spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper and avocado, ½ cup black beans, 3/4th cup blueberries.
- Two slices toasted sweet potato topped with cheese, spinach, and 1 teaspoon sprinkled flaxseed.
- 1/3rd cup of Grape-Nuts, ½ cup blueberries, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt sweetened with ½ mashed banana, 1 cup strawberries, 1 tablespoon chia seeds.
- Chocolate peanut oatmeal and 1 tbsp. of chia seeds.
A few Lunch ideas:
- Mexican bowl consisting of 2/3rd cup low-sodium canned pinto beans, 1 cup spinach, 1/4th cup tomatoes, 1/4th cup bell peppers, 1-ounce cheese, 1 tablespoon salsa as a sauce.
- Salad: 2 cups spinach, ½ cup chickpeas ½ small avocado, ½ cup strawberries, 1/4th cup carrots, 2 tablespoon dressing.
- 2 cups spinach, 1/4th cup tomatoes, 1-ounce cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoon yogurt dressing, 1/4th cup grapes, 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds, 2 ounces roasted chickpeas.
- Tacos: two corn tortillas, 1/3rd cup cooked black beans, 1-ounce low-fat cheese, 2 table-spoon avocado, 1 cup coleslaw, salsa as dressing.
- One small whole-wheat pita pocket, ½ cup cucumber, cup tomatoes, ½ cup lentils,1/2 cup leafy greens, 2 tablespoon salad dressing.
- One small peach diced into one-third cup 2% cottage cheese.
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt mixed with ½ small banana.
- A cup of celery with 1 tbsp. peanut butter.
- 1-ounce almonds, one small grapefruit.
Dinner options are:
- 1 cup cooked lentil penne pasta, 1.5 cups veggie tomato sauce, 2-ounce ground lean turkey.
- Mediterranean couscous: 2/3rd cup whole wheat cooked couscous, ½ cup sautéed eggplant, four sundried tomatoes, five jumbo olives chopped, half a diced cucumber, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, fresh basil.